Castle of the Templars

Declared of Cultural Interest - Albocàsser

The remains of the Albocàsser Castle are located in the middle of the urban centre of the town. The Castle gained its most characteristic image after the reconstruction and extension ordered in 1289 by Artal of Alagón, where two defensive towers were added in the corners of the main facade. In 1568 new restoration and remodelling works were undertaken. It was acquired by the Town Council in 1872 it and the headquarters of the Guardia Civil and the school were established therein. In 1877 the construction was enlarged to add an abbey. Finally, in 1930 the Town Council decided to demolish the Castle. Currently there are some remains: parts of walls integrated in houses and the building that was added as an abbey in 1877.