Of Muslim origin, Moorish King Abú Zayd gave Espadilla to the Archbishop of Tarragona after converting to Christianity.
It was given to the barony of Arenós following the Reconquista. By marriage, it later belonged to the ducal house of Gandia until it was confiscated by King John II in 1462 because of their rebellion. This monarch gave it to his son, Alfonso, in 1471, upon creating the Duchy of Villahermosa with which it was included.
Very little remains of the castle, yet the main tower and various sections of the walls can be seen.
1.5 km from the town towards Ayodar along the PR marked.