This church was opened and blessed in 1887. It was built under the supervision of Juan Renau Renau and all of the residents in those days, who were the main parties involved in its construction.
In 1909 and 1910 the Senior Bishop established it as an adjunct to the parish of Vilafamés. Construction on the Casa Abadía (Abbey House) took place from 1929 to 1950, under Vicente Ortí as curate. Following the end of the Civil War, in 1945 the bell tower was built and a bell was placed inside.
On 25 June 1952, the honourable Bishop of Tortosa, following the rebuilding of the temple and a rise in parishioners, created the parish vicariate of Sant Joan de Moró, which was independent of Vilafamés and appointed a parish priest to it.